Primal Edible Elixir: Omega Mussel Mélange
1. Find the Nutritional Profile.
Primal makes it easy by providing the analysis right on their product page. They provide both a Guaranteed Analysis (GA) as well as a more detailed nutritional panel on minerals and fatty acids.
We can assume this data is as fed due to the lower content of the minerals. Dry matter analysis will generally show 4-5x more nutrients than as fed analysis (for raw or canned foods, dry matter is usually only about 25% of the food, the rest is moisture).
2. Convert all percentages to quantities by 100g.
- Protein: 16% x 100g = 16g
- Fat: 4% x 100g = 4g
- Fiber: 1% x 100g = 1g
- Moisture: 75% x 100g = 75g
- Ash: 1.9% x 100g = 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 3% x 100g = 3g
- Calcium: 0.07% x 100g = 0.07g
- Magnesium: 0.04% x 100g = 0.04g
- Phosphorus: 0.23% x 100g = 0.23g
- Potassium: 0.14% x 100g = 0.14g
- Sodium: 0.37% x 100g = 0.37g
- Taurine: 0.16% x 100g = 0.16g
3. Convert ppm to quantities per 100g.
- Copper: 1.3ppm = 0.13mg/100g
- Iron: 39.9ppm = 3.99mg/100g
- Manganese: 5.9ppm = 0.59mg/100g
- Zinc: 29.2ppm = 2.92mg/100g
4. Convert units to the same units as the spreadsheet
- Calories: 28kcal/oz x 1oz/28.35g x 100g = 98.8kcal/100g
- Calcium: 0.07g = 70mg
- Magnesium: 0.04g = 40mg
- Phosphorus: 0.23mg = 230mg
- Potassium: 0.14g = 140g
- Sodium: 0.37g = 370g
- Taurine: 0.16g = 160mg
5. Enter all values into the spreadsheet into the corresponding rows.
Minerals and macronutrients rows are correspondingly labeled. For fatty acids:
- DHA: 22:6 n-3 (DHA)
- EPA: 20:5 n-3 (EPA)
Omega 3 – We can assume this includes EPA and DHA, so we need to find the remaining omega 3 by subtracting EPA and DHA from the total Omega 3 total: 1.28-0.25-0.36=0.67g of other omega 3’s.
Primal does not provide the full breakdown of the other fatty acids on their website, but does provide them upon request. However, for this example, we’ll assume we could not obtain this information, so we have to estimate.
You can either:
- Enter the remaining omega 3 as a random non-essential fatty acid so that it does not affect requirements but it does count for ratios
- Estimate what types of fatty acids it may be. For a full guide on how to estimate, check out the full guide here.
For this, we’ll assume the remaining omega 3 is half ALA and half DPA.
- ALA 0.335g: 18:3 n-3 c,c,c (ALA)
- DPA 0.335g: 22:5 n-3 (DPA)
6. List the serving size as as “100” for 100g, and the food type as “animal”.